The Institute is structured to ensure linkages between University faculties, departments and research units concerned with informing child policy and practice, and also to maintain linkages between the academic and policy environments.
The quality of Children's Institute research is ensured through peer review and the promotion of cross-disciplinary work.
Housed in the Faculty of Health Sciences, the Institute is led by a director, who is assisted by a Governing Board comprising members of different faculties of the University, and Children's Institute staff representatives. The Governing Board members are:
- Prof Sue Kidson, Acting Dean (chair): Postgraduate Affairs, Faculty of Health Sciences, UCT
- Prof Pierre de Vos, Deputy Dean: Faculty of Law
- Prof Haroon Bhorat, Director: Development Policy Research Unit, Faculty of Commerce, UCT
- Prof Pam Christie, Director: School of Education, Faculty of Humanities, UCT
- Ms Judith Favish, Director: Institutional Planning, UCT
- Prof Deborah Posel, Director: Institute for Humanities in Africa, Faculty of Humanities, UCT
- Dr Chris Scott, Head: Rheumatology, School of Adolescent and Child Health, UCT
- Prof Crain Soudien, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Transformation and Social Responsiveness, UCT
Assoc Mathews (director), Helen Meintjes (senior researcher), Katharine Hall (senior researcher) and Paula Proudlock (programme manager) are the Children's Institute representatives on the Governing Board.
The Institute is also guided by an international Board of Advisors:
- Mrs Graça Machel (honorary chairperson), Chancellor of UCT and President of the Organisation of Mozambican Children
- Prof J. Lawrence Aber (de facto chairperson), Professor of Applied Psychology and Public Policy, Steinhardt School of Education, New York University
- Prof Thokozile Mayekiso, Executive Dean: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Ms Nomathemba Mazaleni, independent consultant and former Chief of Party: Integrated Primary Health Care Project, Management Sciences for Health, Tswane
- Prof John R. Pinkerton, Professor of Child and Family Social Work: School of Sociology, Social Policy and Social Work, Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Dr Jon E. Rohde, former director of the EQUITY Project, Eastern Cape, and former country UNICEF representative in India
- Adv Tseliso Thipanyane, independent consultant and former Chief Executive Officer: South African Human Rights Commission
- Prof Danie Visser, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research, UCT